Wombalana Wild Garden Community Launch - Saturday 15th May, 12-3pm
Selby Community House will be throwing open its doors to celebrate community, nature and connectedness. This free event will be a celebration of our local businesses, environmental organisations, artists, and musicians – all set in the picturesque landscape of Minak Reserve.
The day will include:
- FREE barrista coffee by ‘Drop off Pick Me Up’ (bring keep cup)
- FREE sweet and savoury treats by local chefs Jennifer McAdams and Brookes Bakestead (supported by Ranges First National Real Estate)
- FREE curried samosas
- FREE baskets of fruit for all
- Community Art project with Louise Seymour of PAPERLAB
- An Amazing wildlife display by REPTILE ENCOUNTERS, which will show some interesting animals we don’t usually see!
- Lots of local muso’s playing during the day
- An exhibition by Stephen Mushin in the lounge of the conceptual drawings and inspiration for the nature play space
- A mini eco expo, with information from Dance of the Plant’s indigenous botanist Sonia Murray, Friends of Minak Weed Eradication and Southern Dandenongs Community Nursery – who are giving away free plants.
- Tours of the Bush Food Garden by Dance of the Plant’s indigenous botanist Sonia Murray
- Diprotodont lantern by Renate Crowe will be lighting up the wild garden
Concept of garden:
The concept of Wombalana Wild Garden is a magical wilderness. A journey tens of thousands of years back in time – perhaps even before humans inhabited the land we now call Australia. Walking up the stairs from Selby House, or down the bushy paths from the local carparks, visitors enter a wild space. A space unlike anything they have visited before. Nothing is familiar. Giant rocks, huge logs, Jurassic-feeling plants and enormous megafauna. Or perhaps it's a journey tens of thousands of years forwards to time – to a new wilderness.
A commissioned Diprotodont (a megafauna size wombat which will placed in the garden) is currently in constriction and will be launched at SelbyFest in October this year.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Ranges First National Belgrave & Cockatoo 9754 6111